Saturday, December 22, 2012

What's Important

So here we are, diving into the holidays.

I took a little time off work to spend with the fam (and then got sick).  Of course.  We spent the last 3 days fighting the crud and getting the house in order for staff to come for a Christmas get-together.  In the buying of the gifts, the purchases for the house to get it presentable, the birthdays and such..I lost sight of something.

You see today (Saturday) I wanted nothing more than to rest, sleep, nap, eat and repeat.  But I volunteered to be a Pastor at the Prayer Chapel at Metropolitan Ministries this afternoon. http://www.metromin.org

I really did not want to do this, but felt it necessary when asked.  I really just wanted stay home with the family and relax.  But then something happened.

I was semi-watching a Christmas movie that Jennifer had recorded. I could not tell you the name, other than it was done in early 2000's and runs the vein of the Hallmark movies (but just better acting).  At the end a statement was made that caught my attention:

"Possibly the worth of a man is not the size of his bank account, but rather the size of his heart."

That hit me.

Yes.  That is true.  That statement resonates with me.  Is that not why I do what I do?  Is that not what my heartbeat has been for as long as I can remember?  At what point have I lost that truth?  When did it become surviving, doing what I want and allowing my heart and life to be numbed by the worldly and selfish desires?

So here lies a life statement for me:

"The worth of a man IS NOT the size of his bank account, but rather the size of his heart."

May I stay true to that way of life.

I cannot wait to see what God does today at Metro Min.

No comments:

Post a Comment