Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Reformation at 40.

  • In January I turned 40.  

Funny thing, I for the first time realized what so many older people talk about.  The fact that they in their mind don't feel their age, but their bodies do.  I keep attempting to do physical things that a 20 year old would do (jump off the side of a house) and realize my body just won't take it anymore.  Sigh.

That has pretty much nothing to do with my post, however.

I was sitting on the couch one night after everyone had gone to bed and was thinking "Wow.  I am 40.  That used to seem so old.  But in reality my life could very well be 1/2 over."

At that moment, God chimed in.  And this is what He said:

"So I know what you have done with your last 40 years.  What are you going to do with your next 40?"

I sat in silence.

Then.  Emotion.

What is THAT supposed to mean!?  Did you just throw me under the bus for the last 40 years of my life?  Honestly, that was my first thought.  God just threw me under the bus for the way I have lived out my last 40 years.  But the more I thought about it I realized it was less that and more a calling to a reformation of sorts.

If we look at our lives and truly allow God to work through us, there will be points to where we are able to put stakes in the ground to look back on.  Times when we have made a hard shift in what and how we believe and our faith.

Mine have so far come:


  • July 1990 when I became a surrendered follower of Jesus Christ.
  • Sometime in 2004 when I came to understand GRACE.
  • May of 2007 when I realized God isn't safe (and my life shouldn't be either..move to Fl).
  • January of 2012 when I finally started to get my footing here in Florida.  Oh, what?  THERE you are God.  You ARE faithful.  Thanks for leaving me hanging out there for the last  4 YEARS!  OK, maybe not that bad.  But the last 4 years sure have been an adventure!!  (Put "adventure" in google and hit enter.  Wikipedia should come up and read what it says in the search results)
So at 40, God is calling me to a new season.  One that is more bold.  One of fresh renewal.  One that pushes the boundaries.  

There is a fire stirring in this tired, seasoned body Lord.  

Do. Your. Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment